Assessment & Treatment of Voice Disorders
Professionals who rely heavily on their voices often have trouble with their voice as a result of voice overuse or patterns of voice use that harm the vocal folds. Most of these people have seen an Otolaryngologist (ENT) who recommended voice therapy.
Symptoms of Voice Difficulties May Include:
- A hoarse or breathy voice
- A voice that is too soft or loud
- Pain with voice use
- Loss of voice
- Inappropriate pitch
When Should I Seek Treatment From an ENT Doctor?
What Can I Expect in the Assessment?
- Review of medical records
- Computerized analysis of your voice
- Perceptual voice analysis
- Viewing of your vocal folds during Phonation using VIdeostroboscopy
What Can I Expect in Therapy?
Voice therapy focuses on teaching the individual to use his/her voice in a manner that maximizes loudness while protecting the voice.
Individuals need to achieve adequate breath support, appropriate pitch, good resonance and relaxation for optimal vocal quality.
↑ Back to top