NCEENT’s BeginningsNorth Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat was founded in 1914 by Samuel D. McPherson, Sr., M.D. The practice has operated continuously in Durham, North Carolina since its founding. For more than 100 years, North Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat (formerly McPherson Hospital) has been a leader in providing Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology care for the community and active in medical research and the training of new physicians.
Continued Contribution to SciencePhysicians affiliated with North Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat developed specialized suture materials for use in eye surgery and performed the first cornea transplant in the southeastern United States. In the 1960’s its physicians pioneered the use of microsurgery in the surgical treatment of eye diseases and McPherson Hospital was one of the first hospitals in the United States to teach residents the technique of operating on the eye with a microscope.
Many instruments that are still used today in eye surgery were developed at McPherson Hospital by physicians affiliated with North Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat. Over the years more than 375 residents in Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology have trained with the physicians of North Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat and gone on to practice in their chosen specialty throughout the United States. Most importantly, since 1914, it is estimated that more than one million patients have trusted McPherson Hospital and North Carolina Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat for their Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology care.