Cataract Surgery Post-op Instructions
- Avoid strenuous activity for 2 weeks.
- Wear wrap-around sunglasses when outside for 7 – 10 days. These are provided for you.
- Keep eye clean and dry (Avoid water in the eye for 2 weeks).
- Do NOT touch or rub the eye.
- NO yard work for 2 weeks.
- Tape eye shield on operated eye at bedtime for 1 week (leave it on the day of surgery).
- Use drops in the operative eye only as directed below (wait 5 minutes between drops).
(You will fill this prescription at the pharmacy, AND the hospital provides one.) Start 3 DAYS before your surgery and use one drop ONCE A DAY for 6 WEEKS.Then STOP.
Polymyxin – Trimethoprim (“PolyTrim”)
(The hospital will provide this drop.) Start when you get home from surgery and use one drop FOUR TIMES A DAY for 1 WEEK.Then STOP.
Prednisolone Acetate 1%
(The hospital will provide this drop.) SHAKE WELL before using.Start when you get home from surgery and use one drop FOUR TIMES A DAY for 2 WEEKS, then THREE TIMES A DAY for 1 WEEK, then TWO TIMES A DAY for 1 WEEK, then ONE TIME A DAY for 1 WEEK. Then STOP.